Thursday, February 25, 2010

WAITING

Lines.  Traffic.  Money.  Promises.  Sometimes it seems as if all I do is wait.  I don't know about you, but I do not do it well sometimes.  If I were to confess honestly, and that is the best policy, I don't do it well most of the time.  But, thank God, I'm better than I used to be.

Is impatience heredity?  Where does it derive?  Do we learn to wait?  Or, does waiting become easier the more we have to do it?  Or, maybe it becomes easier with knowledge, and, dare I say it, with age.  I can't say for sure how we obtain patience except by experiencing life.  For me, it is hard.  I'm in, what I call, a "holding" pattern right now.  Resting is about the only thing I can do well.  And, of course, talk with God and Wiener.

Wiener has learned the word wait.  (Sometimes I think she's smarter than me.)  I ask her to wait when we go out so I can tie my shoes. Then when we go for a walk I ask her to wait while I talk with a neighbor.  And, the most impatient time for her is when I am getting her food ready - she has to wait then, too.  You can learn a lot from Wiener.  I may need to write a book on "Wienerism" and then follow her advice. Sometimes waiting also involves napping.

No comments: